Wednesday 11 March 2009

Secret # 7 and # 8

I am a little behind again, but continuing on with my reading of the 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women

First, secret #7 ~ consulting with guides. A guide is someone "who sees who you are and helps you to find your way", it could be anyone really, parent, teacher, family member, etc...even a book could be your guide or a movie, TV show or radio. I think this is so important and can be very inspiring, one way could be to read about inspiring lives in biographies or memoirs. This chapter also mentioned to look back at our childhood and try to remember early influences. I felt the following quote had perfect timing and meaning for me:

"If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in. " Rachel Carson.

This is how I feel about home schooling. I want to keep that wonder and thirst of learning in my children's minds. The quote also reminded me of my father, he used to share his excitement over history with me, and listening to him, I couldn't help but be interested as well.

I did have some memories while reading this chapter about my early influences. I can't say they relate specifically to creativity, but these are the memories that popped in my head. Growing up, I always felt that it was assumed that I would take over for my father in his business when the time would come. I grew up in the business. My parents didn't believe in babysitters, and so I spent many many hours in the office while they worked, and in convention halls behind a display table a few weekends a year, while other kids were outside having fun! I told myself early on that I would not spend my life in this way when I was older. I guess you could call that a negative early influence... A more positive influence that also came to mind, was from my father. He would explained to me how his business was very dear to him, and important, but that his family suffered for it, with him dedicating himself so much to it for so many years. He longed for a happy family life (my parents divorced after 13 years of marriage) with many children (I was an only child). Hearing him share these regrets influenced me, in a good way I think, to put my focus on my family. I have never regretted my decision to be a parent, a stay at home mom, or a home school mom. I can't imagine any career or job more fulfilling than being a mom.

The 7th secret also reminded me how important it is to guide others in their creative pursuits, if you are able to, or at least be supportive. My oldest daughter is quite artistic, and I always try to encourage her to try new techniques, without pushing! It can be difficult sometimes to find the right balance!

On to secret #8 ~ Selecting empowering partnerships and alliances.
This chapter covered a lot of information about partners. The main message I received from this chapter is how important it is to know yourself before entering any kind of alliance, and how vital it is to be completely honest and to be able to communicate clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments! Thank you for stopping by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels

Fun home learning book sharing monday family books wordless wednesday nature journey north art wrap-up weekly report Reading nature study holidays photography science geography sketch tuesday canada homeschool report Me pets quilting cooking for our earth DPP Movies outdoor challenge sewing exploring get outdoors Fairy outdoor hour Iditarod birthday challenge math summer celeste journey north 2009 100books Dragon Lego music Princess animals halloween home journey north 2010 lapbook NaNoWriMo author fiesta field trip public school wreck this journal poetry 12 secrets baking birds blogs journey north 2011 spring city curriculum fitness gardening moving black history month bugs earth hour journey north 2012 planning reading my library shutter sisters sled dogs this moment travel unschooling December board games calendar quilt lego quest swap air cadets feeding my family food revolution hockey library recipes what works air show author study award backyard bird count camping dr seuss father's day pirates roald dahl space sports what my children are reading year 5 Ballet DQS6 St Patrick's Day TED talks arnosky basketball biographies eating clean for others geocaching happiness mail medical memory monday orion poems science rendezvous scree-free week 2011 skating spelling winter solstice winterfest youtube 2010 olympics Charlottetown PEI Patricia Polacco Rant appreciation book collecting good deeds helping others hooping hunger games jamie oliver maze nat orchestra peace quilt-along screen-free week snail stamps the next chapter book club video games wilderness wednesday wish wednesday world news writing