Sunday 3 January 2010

Combining two reading challenges...







Reading My Library


I have decided to combine these two challenges. We have been doing the 100 books-a-month challenge since November and we love it. To keep us a bit more organized, I am adding the "Reading my Library" challenge hosted by Carrie. Most of the books we read come from the library. Our local branch is pretty small, and I have noticed these past two months that we tend to check certain sections and sometimes not trying others. I think this will help us discover more authors, especially in the picture books area.

Carrie's plan is to read through all the Children Picture books at her library. How is she doing that? Basically by starting at A and making her way through to Z. The library has picture books organized by authors, and she started off by grabing the first 35 books under the letter A. She is giving herself as long as needed, but did mention to try and do it in 1 year.  You can visit her blog at Reading My Library.

We will continue to choose books that attract us for whatever reason, and my older two children will continue on picking their own novels, non-fiction books, and graphic novels.

If Celeste chooses other books, they will get added to our library basket too, but this will provide us with focus when we seem to lack some!

Tomorrow's library trip will find us in the letter A section of the picture books!

And one more thing...Carrie is also hosting a L.M. Montgomery Reading Challenge at her other site: Reading to Know..if you are interested.

2 comments:

  1. What great challenges! Last year I challenged myself to read a new book each month. This year, I'd like to do it again. It is very easy to really take advantage of using the library here; I try to bring home a bag of new books every week. I hope that when my son gets older, he'll be more interested in telling me what he wants, versus me looking for things that I hope will interest him.

    Enjoy your year of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea! I'm going to give that a try this year.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments! Thank you for stopping by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels

Fun home learning book sharing monday family books wordless wednesday nature journey north art wrap-up weekly report Reading nature study holidays photography science geography sketch tuesday canada homeschool report Me pets quilting cooking for our earth DPP Movies outdoor challenge sewing exploring get outdoors Fairy outdoor hour Iditarod birthday challenge math summer celeste journey north 2009 100books Dragon Lego music Princess animals halloween home journey north 2010 lapbook NaNoWriMo author fiesta field trip public school wreck this journal poetry 12 secrets baking birds blogs journey north 2011 spring city curriculum fitness gardening moving black history month bugs earth hour journey north 2012 planning reading my library shutter sisters sled dogs this moment travel unschooling December board games calendar quilt lego quest swap air cadets feeding my family food revolution hockey library recipes what works air show author study award backyard bird count camping dr seuss father's day pirates roald dahl space sports what my children are reading year 5 Ballet DQS6 St Patrick's Day TED talks arnosky basketball biographies eating clean for others geocaching happiness mail medical memory monday orion poems science rendezvous scree-free week 2011 skating spelling winter solstice winterfest youtube 2010 olympics Charlottetown PEI Patricia Polacco Rant appreciation book collecting good deeds helping others hooping hunger games jamie oliver maze nat orchestra peace quilt-along screen-free week snail stamps the next chapter book club video games wilderness wednesday wish wednesday world news writing